An Appeal After A Criminal Trial Verdict Seeks A Second Chance
If you were convicted of a crime and now face harsh penalties and a damaging criminal record, you and your defense lawyer may look for a path to a better outcome. Filing an appeal may seem to be the obvious first recourse. Does your criminal verdict offer a path to an appeal?
A criminal case outcome may be appealed on the basis of one of the following factors:
- The lower court misinterpreted the law.
- The evidence presented did not justify the verdict.
- The judge in the lower court abused their discretion, resulting in a ruling that was unreasonable or erroneous and was not supported by the facts or the law.
- The defendant claims to have received ineffective legal counsel.
A careful examination by an experienced appellate law attorney may reveal the answer. I am John S. Koehler, a knowledgeable and respected lawyer handling appeals in Virginia. I am well-qualified to review your case to determine whether an appeal is a clear option.
Criminal Appeals And Habeas Corpus
With 27 years of experience as a clerk of the Supreme Court of Virginia, I assisted with appellate cases covering a wide range of civil and criminal matters. I am well-prepared to consider and file appeals for criminal convictions, including the following:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI)
- Serious traffic violations, such as reckless driving resulting in manslaughter.
- Theft, including robbery, burglary and white collar crimes
- Violent crimes, including assault and battery
- Drug crimes
If I find reasons to appeal your conviction, I will conduct in-depth research to help me write a compelling appeal to bring on your behalf. I may find that the sentence did not match the crime or that your federal constitutional rights were violated. Even if an appeal does not seem justifiable in your case, I may be able to help you petition the appellate court for a writ of habeas corpus The habeas corpus may ask the appellate court to consider evidence that the original trial judge did not have access to.
Consider All Legal Options After A Criminal Conviction
As an experienced, diligent appellate attorney, I am prepared to help you consider all the ways by which you can seek to overcome a conviction for a crime or a civil verdict. Request a consultation at your earliest convenience by calling 888-835-2809 or emailing the law firm through this website.